Re: Arrow of NSMenu

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Arrow of NSMenu
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 18:29:31 +0200

Hi,

I am a little in doubt here, I think Fred has some valid points.

Fred Kiefer wrote:
Hi Eric,

I don't like this change very much and will try explain why. This does not mean that I doubt the technical correctness of this patch. I just think we should try to find a better solution.

- First off, I don't really see the issue here. This may be because I don't use themes. But can somebody please explain what would be the problem with using the official names for images in themes? Riccardo already stated that things would work when using the name NSMenuArrow.
Well, but if we have a remapping it should work. IE. our actual file is
common_3DArrowRight.tif in the standard theme, why shouldn't that be true also in the theme-supplied images?

- The big doubt I am having with the change is that now GSTheme has to know about that name mapping which was internal to NSImage up to now. A solution where similar code would be used inside the NSImage method _setImagePath:name: seems a lot cleaner to me. If we build up that reverse map you are using, all the necessary information should be available in that method. I think this would belong into the else case of the if (image != nil) test you introduced.

- Another way to get rid of the problem would be to completely remove the name mapping from NSImage. I am a bit reluctant to propose this. That mechanism has been around for a very long time and it allows us to have clearer names. But with the theme code in place this mechanism isn't needed that much any more.
Well, mapping works with the "default theme". I too don't like that GSTheme shouldn't know about the remapping.

You ask for NSArrow, the mapping converts it to another name, now this other named image could be in the default theme or in a supplied theme. I actually do not understand where the mechamism breaks.

Riccardo