Re: [GSoC Mentors Announce] Google Summer of Code 2013

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: [GSoC Mentors Announce] Google Summer of Code 2013
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:43:31 +0100

On 26 Apr 2013, at 10:32, "Lundberg, Johannes" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Do you mean that if rendering is offloaded to the CPU the performance gained
> from moving from X to DirectFB is not that big?

DirectFB is a Linux (not-really portable) API that was designed to give direct
access to the framebuffer for unaccelerated rendering.  It now enables you to
create an OpenGL context, but there's not really any advantage of this over
direct rendering in X11 - you're just using either one as an API to give you a
full-screen GL context and then asking it to get out of the way.

> For our head mount display all events will be generated from things like
> gestures and voice control so we don't really need X for input events.

The overhead of X isn't that big when you're doing full-screen OpenGL
rendering.  You're probably better off following the Android model though, and
sitting directly on top of the GLES driver.

David

-- Sent from my PDP-11