Re: Linux+GNUstep to Unit Test Objective-C Code instead of Mac+XCode?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Linux+GNUstep to Unit Test Objective-C Code instead of Mac+XCode?
Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 09:02:39 +0200

On 02.05.2013 10:07, J B wrote:
I'm an 'XCode' coder, with experience in the Unix console. So far, I've
only coded Objective-C on Mac/iOS.

I'd like to implement automated unit tests in a Hudson server on a Linux
machine, but I'm not sure whether I can compile and test code that imports
Foundation.h on Linux.

Here's my question: Is it true that GNUstep will compile Foundation.h, but
not the graphical libraries? I think that would work, since I can't
effectively test the graphical components with unit tests, anyway. GNUstep
has its own graphical libraries for cross platform application development,
right?

Any other thoughts about using Linux to unit test objective-c code? Is my
plan feasible? I'm open to other options. I can purchase another Mac for
Hudson/automatic unit testing, but I'd prefer to run my objective-c unit
tests on a Linux machine, because of the difference in price.

Ivan already wrote a reply answering most of your questions. I will restrict my reply on the term unit test. You did not give any details about what you are referring to here. You could have written your own stand alone unit tests, which should run fine on GNUstep out of the box, or you could be using an Objective-C unit test framework. In this case it will most likely be the OCunit framework from Sente that Apple has integrated into XCode. If you want to use that with GNUstep there is a simple solution. I have locally a version, based on an older release, that works fine with GNUstep. Please feel free to ask for that code.