Re: Linux+GNUstep to Unit Test Objective-C Code instead of Mac+XCode?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Linux+GNUstep to Unit Test Objective-C Code instead of Mac+XCode?
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 15:32:09 -0400

On 7 May 2013, at 15:23, Ibadinov Marat <address@hidden> wrote:

> I wonder if this is the official policy of GNUstep project.
> Or maybe the following is more appropriate: GNUstep should be developed in
> such way that each and every piece of code that works on top of Cocoa should
> work correctly using GNUstep, requiring no single change at all?

There is a difference between the goal and the pragmatic reality.  The goal is
that porting any Cocoa application to GNUstep is a matter of recompiling.  The
reality is that not even every Cocoa app works on every subsequent version of
OS X without some work to take account of how implementation details of the
APIs have changed.  GNUstep, similarly, has some differences from Cocoa that
are unavoidable, and if you want your code to work on both then you must take
these into account (possibly just by sticking to the subset that works well on
both).

David

-- Sent from my Cray X1