Re: I think I figured out how Apple did their toll-free bridging.

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: I think I figured out how Apple did their toll-free bridging.
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 17:55:36 -0400

On 17 May 2013, at 17:48, Chan Maxthon <address@hidden> wrote:

> All CoreFoundation objects places the field for retain count at the same
> offset as Cocoa objects do

Cocoa objects do not have an in-object retain count.  This is why retain /
release on GNUstep are so much faster than on OS X / iOS.  On iOS, they are all
stored in a C++ map table (in fact, the LLVM one).  In OS X, there is an
initial hash that selects one of 8 map tables, for greater parallelism in the
retain / release operations.

David

-- Send from my Jacquard Loom