Re: Building core/make, core/base and objc2 for OS X

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Building core/make, core/base and objc2 for OS X
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 21:18:56 +0200

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Frank Rehwinkel <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi.  I would like to setup a gnustep/objc2 build environment on OS X.

You really don't want to do so unless you wish to undergo a lot of pain :-)

In file included from GSObjCRuntime.m:32:
In file included from .././common.h:32:
./GNUstepBase/GSVersionMacros.h:319:16: fatal error: 'objc/blocks_runtime.h' file not found
#      include <objc/blocks_runtime.h>
               ^
1 warning and 1 error generated.

From the directory above core/base, 'find' actually finds three copies of the header file because I've also copied the objc2 source to a sibling directory in preparation for its build and install.  I'm a bit confused about the order that core/base and objc2 should be built and installed because I've seen instructions about building and installing objc2 first but there is at least one unit test case for objc2 that won't build without the Foundation framework so for that I think I need to build and install core/base first.

$ find . -name blocks_runtime.h
./1.7-RC1/blocks_runtime.h
./1.7-RC1/objc/blocks_runtime.h
./core/base/Headers/ObjectiveC2/objc/blocks_runtime.h

Since it's a system header (note the <angled brackets>) the compiler is probably looking for it primarily in /usr/local/include and /usr/include.

If you are trying to install "the whole deal" (that is, you don't want to depend on Apple Foundation) you'll want to try to install libobjc2 first. I haven't had much luck with that, and it ended up conflicting with Apple's runtime when building things in command line, so I gave up on the whole setup.

--
Ivan Vučica - address@hidden