Re: Question about memory management

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Question about memory management
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 13:47:03 +0200

On 7. 6. 2013., at 10:47, David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 7 Jun 2013, at 09:42, Maxthon Chan <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Well can I (just like NSApplication):
>>
>> 1) In supercalss, define the shared instance as id
>> 2) In superclass, return the shared instance as id or instancetype
>> 3) In superclass, DO NOT set up yet.
>> 4) In superclass, set up in the method asking for the shared instance, which
>> always use [[self alloc] init]?
>
> NSApplication is an example of a singleton designed for subclassing.  It
> provides an explicit mechanism for defining the subclass that should be used
> for the singleton instance: a string in the Info.plist providing the name of
> the application class to use.  It also sets up its delegate in this way and
> gets the name of the nib to load on application start.
>
> David
>
> -- Sent from my brain

Also notable is NSDocumentController, which is explicitly being overridden by
[MyDocumentController sharedController] before first use by either the app or
the framework; that is, in -applicationWillFinishLaunching:.

I do this to prevent the user from opening more than one document while still
leveraging other parts of the document architecture.

Regards,

Ivan Vučica
via phone