Re: How to correctly determine a small object?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: How to correctly determine a small object?
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 21:20:18 +0100

On 7 Jun 2013, at 21:10, David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 64-bit platforms, the low 3 bits will always be zero

P.S. I've done some profiling and discovered that in typical desktop
applications 5-20% of objects are small strings (up to 8 7-bit ASCII chars
stored in a pointer).  This makes a fairly significant difference to the number
of malloc()s and free()s.  It's probably worth ensuring that we are using
pointer comparison followed by -isEqual: on failure for collections, as this
could be a significant performance improvement.

David

-- Sent from my PDP-11