Re: FreeBSD 9.1 missing libcxxrt - is it needed for objc2?

From: Frank Rehwinkel
Subject: Re: FreeBSD 9.1 missing libcxxrt - is it needed for objc2?
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 09:36:43 -0400

I get the same link errors when I build libobjc against libsupc++ copied from stable/9.1 and from current/10.0.  Just to be clear, I didn't build a new system, I just ftp'ed the base tarballs from a FreeBSD ftp site.

I could not find a source for a stable/9.0 base tarball.

-Frank

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 8:07 AM, David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:
On 14 Jun 2013, at 12:31, Maxthon Chan <address@hidden> wrote:

> I will give you my settings once I got home (use libsupc++.a under 64-bit Ubuntu 13.04). However my settings is calling for LLVMgold.so and clang+binutils LTO support.

Have you tested that this actually works?  Even if you do somehow manage to link in libsupc++.a, you will then have two sets of symbols for the C++ runtime functions in any code that links libstdc++ (which, on Ubuntu, also statically links libsupc++) and so you will end up with undefined behaviour when you throw a C++ exception.  This may or may not work in any given case, depending on which combination of symbols is used.

In short: there's a reason why the build system doesn't do this by default.

David

-- Sent from my STANTEC-ZEBRA