Re: gnustep-gui build link dependency orders wrong

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: gnustep-gui build link dependency orders wrong
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 11:22:51 +0200

Hi Richard,

> This turns out to be a problem with the gnustep-gui configuration seting the
> paths to libraries and headers needed for external dependencies as having
> higher precendence than all other paths (setting them in ADDITIONAL...
> variables) rather than lower precedence that all other paths (setting them in
> CONFIG_SYSTEM... variables).
>
> I fixed the configure.ac script and config.make.in to change this behavior
> ... please give it a try.

thanks for looking into this. After your patch, the link order is correct now
(for all targets in base, gui, back). The include order, however, isn't:

Making all for library libgnustep-gui...

/usr/local/bin/clang33 Functions.m -c \
      -MMD -MP -DGNUSTEP_TARGET_DIR=\".\" -DGNUSTEP_TARGET_CPU=\"x86_64\"
-DGNUSTEP_TARGET_OS=\"freebsd\" -DLIBRARY_COMBO=\"gnu-gnu-gnu\"
-DBACKEND_BUNDLE=1 -DGNUSTEP -DGNUSTEP_BASE_LIBRARY=1 -DGNU_GUI_LIBRARY=1
-DGNU_RUNTIME=1 -DGNUSTEP_BASE_LIBRARY=1 -fno-strict-aliasing -fexceptions
-fobjc-exceptions -D_NATIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS -fobjc-nonfragile-abi
-D_NONFRAGILE_ABI -pthread -fPIC -Wall -DGSWARN -DGSDIAGNOSE -Wno-import -g -O2
-fgnu-runtime -Wall -fconstant-string-class=NSConstantString
-I../Headers/Additions -I../Headers -I./. -I. -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/local/include/libpng15 -I/root/GNUstep/Library/Headers
-I/usr/local/jenkins/workspace/GNUstep_trunk/GNUSTEP_ROOT/Local/Library/Headers
-I/usr/local/jenkins/workspace/GNUstep_trunk/GNUSTEP_ROOT/System/Library/Headers
 \

       -o obj/libgnustep-gui.obj/Functions.m.o

As you can see, -I/usr/local/include still appears too early. This is true for
base, gui and back, hence it must be something (perhaps just a single test)
that you have missed. As soon as the include order is proper, I can then
automatically build the most current libobjc2 into this test installation and
catch errors there as well on a nightly basis.

Thanks,

  Marcus

--
Marcus Müller  .  .  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com/znek/