Compiling GNUstep with clang

From: Vincent R.
Subject: Compiling GNUstep with clang
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 21:01:57 +0200

Hi,

I am following these steps on Linux mint to compile gnustep :

# Compile clang
svn co http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/branches/release_33 llvm
cd llvm/tools
svn co http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/cfe/branches/release_33 clang
cd ../../llvm/projects
svn co http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/compiler-rt/branches/release_33 compiler-rt
cd ../..
mkdir build
cd build
../llvm/configure --enable-optimized
make -j2

# add clang to path and declare it as default compiler
export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/Projects/objc2cs/build/Release+Asserts/bin
export CC=clang

#GNUstep
mkdir gnustep && cd gnustep
svn co http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/modules/core
svn co http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/libobjc2/trunk libobjc2

cd core/make
./configure --enable-debug-by-default --with-layout=gnustep --prefix=/GNUstep
make && sudo -E make install
. /GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

cd ../../libobjc2
make debug=no && sudo sh -c ". $GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES/GNUstep.sh; make strip=yes install"

cd ../../core/make
./configure --enable-debug-by-default --enable-objc-nonfragile-abi --with-layout=gnustep --prefix=/GNUstep
make && sudo -E make install
. /GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

cd ../../core/base
./configure --disable-mixedabi --disable-unicodeconstants
make messages=yes && sudo -E make install
Error : configure: error: Your compiler does not appear to implement the -fconstant-string-class option needed for support of strings. Please check for a more recent version or consider using --enable-nxconstantstring

So I tried to add the --enable-nxconstantstring flag and it worked but after I have the same kind of error when compiling core/gui :

cd ../../core/gui
./configure --enable-nxconstantstring && make && sudo -E make install

Compiling file GSspell.m ...
 Linking service GSspell ...
../Source/./obj/libgnustep-gui.so: undefined reference to `__objc_class_name_NSConstantString' clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make[4]: *** [GSspell.service/./GSspell] Error 1
make[3]: *** [internal-service-run-compile-submake] Error 2

and this time when I add the flag it doesn't solve the error.