Re: Still getting the following failure...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Still getting the following failure...
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 01:12:34 +0200

Hi,

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

  Creating Gorm.app/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist...

plmerge: Uncaught exception (null), reason:
-initWithBytes:lenth:encoding given nul bytes
I have reported it in a previous message but nobody cares ...
See my second message entitled : compiling GNUstep with clang, in my
first message I wrote that I had some errors
than I have understood I needed to compile libc++ then in my second
message I had a crash inside plmerge :

I am copy/pasting :

if [ -r "libgnustep-back-023Info.plist" ]; then \
  plmerge libgnustep-back-023.bundle/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist
libgnustep-back-023Info.plist; \
fi
plmerge: Uncaught exception (null), reason:
-initWithBytes:lenth:encoding given nul bytes
Aborted
make[3]: ***
[libgnustep-back-023.bundle/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist] Error 134
make[3]: *** Deleting file
`libgnustep-back-023.bundle/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist'
make[2]: *** [libgnustep-back-023.all.bundle.variables] Error 2
make[1]: *** [internal-all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/vincent/objc2cs/gnustep/core/back/Source'

This problem appeared some days ago because of a commit of Richard, which he readily reverted.

Giving up is surely not a solution, I run GNUstep on really a wide range of platforms!

If you don't need certain features, you may try gcc (however, reconfigure and recompile all core with gcc). any gcc 4.x will do just fine. I can assure that a 4.2 is rock stable. Perhaps you should do that anyway, just to exclude other troubles?
Perhaps nobody is responding because it's not a problem anybody has seen (I
haven't).
I'm not a regular user of clang myself because I mostly want reliability and
clang has been highly unstable, but I believe that's changed.
At least clang-3.3 and the latest libobc2 seems to be a working pretty well.

I have built with clang 3.3 and I don't have that problem, I can run Gworkspace or any other application after Richard reverted the fix in NSPropertyList.

Riccardo