Re: Changes to NSGlobalDomain aren't detected

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Changes to NSGlobalDomain aren't detected
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 10:41:41 +0200

Hi,

David Chisnall wrote:
Alternatively, I wonder if having changes to persistent domains post a
distributed notification would be cleaner than regularly polling the FS
(regularly waking up sucks battery life on mobile devices, even if the check is
handled by the VFS layer).  If people want to manually modify the plists of a
running application (and not use the defaults tool) then they should post the
notification themselves...
That sounds interesting. It would mean changing "defaults" but also possibly the defaults system preference pane which would need on apply to send the same notification? Doens't sounds difficult. I wonder if there are however side-effects.

Perhaps defaults could get an option to send the notification, like "defaults --force-notificy" even if the changes where done manually.

Riccardo