Re: libobjc2 objc_setassociatedobject issue

From: Doug Warren
Subject: Re: libobjc2 objc_setassociatedobject issue
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:27:18 -0800

I saw the test that you checked in to svn and modified my code to match it:

static BOOL associatedObjectDeallocCalled = NO;
static const char* objc_setAssociatedObjectKey = "objc_setAssociatedObjectKey";

@interface associatedObjectTestAssociatedObject : NSObject
@end

@implementation associatedObjectTestAssociatedObject

-(void) dealloc
{
    associatedObjectDeallocCalled = YES;
    [super dealloc];
}

@end

@interface associatedObjectTestAllocatedObject : NSObject
@end

@implementation associatedObjectTestAllocatedObject
@end

TEST(objc_setAssociatedObject, AssociatedObjectsAreReleased)
{
#if !Z2_APPLE
    GSDebugAllocationActive(YES);
    GSDebugAllocationList(YES);
#endif

    @autoreleasepool {
        associatedObjectTestAllocatedObject* object = [associatedObjectTestAllocatedObject new];

        associatedObjectTestAssociatedObject *info = [[associatedObjectTestAssociatedObject new] autorelease];
        objc_setAssociatedObject(object, &objc_setAssociatedObjectKey, info, OBJC_ASSOCIATION_RETAIN);

        [object release];
    }
#if !Z2_APPLE
    EXPECT_STREQ(GSDebugAllocationList(YES), "1\tNSDataMalloc\n");
#endif

    ASSERT_TRUE(associatedObjectDeallocCalled);
}

On the Apple runtime it passes still:
[----------] 1 test from objc_setAssociatedObject
[ RUN      ] objc_setAssociatedObject.AssociatedObjectsAreReleased
[       OK ] objc_setAssociatedObject.AssociatedObjectsAreReleased (0 ms)
[----------] 1 test from objc_setAssociatedObject (0 ms total)

On Gnustep/objc2:
E/Z2GameLog(12157): STDOUT: [----------] 1 test from objc_setAssociatedObject
E/Z2GameLog(12157): STDOUT: [ RUN      ] objc_setAssociatedObject.AssociatedObjectsAreReleased
E/Z2GameLog(12157): STDOUT: /data/testnations.git/jujulib/Tests/objc-utility/objc_setAssociatedObjectTest.h:44: Failure
E/Z2GameLog(12157): STDOUT: Value of: "1\tNSDataMalloc\n"
E/Z2GameLog(12157): STDOUT:   Actual: "1 NSDataMalloc
E/Z2GameLog(12157): STDOUT: "
E/Z2GameLog(12157): STDOUT: Expected: GSDebugAllocationList(((BOOL)1))
E/Z2GameLog(12157): STDOUT: Which is: "1 NSDataMalloc
E/Z2GameLog(12157): STDOUT: 1 associatedObjectTestAssociatedObject
E/Z2GameLog(12157): STDOUT: "
E/Z2GameLog(12157): STDOUT: /data/testnations.git/jujulib/Tests/objc-utility/objc_setAssociatedObjectTest.h:47: Failure
E/Z2GameLog(12157): STDOUT: Value of: innerObjectDeallocCalled
E/Z2GameLog(12157): STDOUT:   Actual: false
E/Z2GameLog(12157): STDOUT: Expected: true
E/Z2GameLog(12157): STDOUT: [  FAILED  ] objc_setAssociatedObject.AssociatedObjectsAreReleased (1 ms)
E/Z2GameLog(12157): STDOUT: [----------] 1 test from objc_setAssociatedObject (2 ms total)

My runtime environment unfortunately isn't in a position to run the libobjc tests directly.  Do you have any suggestions as to what I should be looking for?  Perhaps there's something in the GNUStep Foundation NSObject that's causing it to fail but works with the libobjc Test object?