Re: GNUstep on Mac OS X

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Mac OS X
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 01:11:50 +0100

Am 27.12.2013 20:17, schrieb Fred Kiefer:
> The first thing I would state on that page is that GNUstep on MacOSX is
> not actually needed. You might want to use the GNUstep additions to be
> able to compile software using that. And if you want to port software
> from Cocoa to GNUstep you are better of by setting up your target
> environment, e.g. in a virtual machine, and use GNUstep there directly.
> (Here another page about using GNUstep to port software would help. The
> page
> http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Cross_Compiling#I_have_an_Xcode_project_and_want_to_run_on_Linux
> doesn't even mention buildtool or at least pbxBuild.)

While my youngest Mac OS X installation is 10.4 on PowerPC, I'm also on
Cocotrons discussion list. Cocotron integrates cross-compilation
directly into Xcode and I'm pretty sure this is one of its biggest
assets. Zero complaints about this kind of integration, zero attempts to
do it another way, people are simply happy with it:

- A cross-compiler (Windows, Linux) is compiled with Xcodes' compiler
and stuffed into the right place.

- A bit plist editing to make this compiler show up in various build
configuration panels. Works only partially and doesn't appear to be
important. People simply copy build targets from the examples. Once

- What can't be fully integrated is simply stuffed into script build
targets. Should be trivial to run a GNUmakefile from there ... which
might be not even neccessary:

- These script build targets inherit all the build environment
variables, so its easy to assemble direct build commands in there. You
have variables for what to compile, how to compile, which frameworks and
options to use, where to put the result. Different scripts for
single-file compiles and final assembly.

Putting all this together, developers can stick to their well known
environment (code editor, GUI builder, especially the visual appearance
of them) while GNUstep can run the known-to-work CLI/script/makefile way.

Cocotron is MIT-licenced, a look into their InstallCDT script (compiler
installation) can't hurt. Pretty straightforward stuff:

http://cocotron.org/Tools/InstallCDT
http://code.google.com/p/cocotron/source/browse/InstallCDT/install.sh

Sample projects with these script targets for cross-compilation exist, too:

http://code.google.com/p/cocotron/source/browse/#hg%2FExamples%2FNSOpenGLView

Markus

--
Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter