Re: GNUstep.org website redesign proposal

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: GNUstep.org website redesign proposal
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 10:50:54 +0100

On Tuesday, December 31, 2013 04:17 CET, Stefan Bidi <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sebastian and whoever else is interested in this discussion,
> I've been following the discussions over the last few weeks but I haven't
> felt the need to chime in until now.
>
> I looked at your example and read through most of your explanation (I must
> admit, I didn't read it all).  I like the general look, and I think it
> looks much better than the current website look.  However, I do not think
> the dock at the bottom is relevant--there are no such docks available for
> GNUstep applications.  In addition, I'm currently on vacation on only have

GWorkspace has the dock on the left or right side.
The idea was for Apple Devs, they would recognize the dock immediately,
and know what to do with it, but my assumption may be wrong ;)

Anyways, if the group agrees that the dock is nice, but plainly wrong for
the website, I can drop it from the design. But then need to re-evaluate
the menu structure.

> my tablet, with this interface I can't actually hover over the icons at the
> bottom and had no idea what they were until after I clicked on them.
> Nowadays, you need to consider that this is an use case and must cater to
> people on tablets as well as on desktops.
>
> I like the idea of modeling against the gtk.org website, as GNUstep caters
> to a lot of the same developers.
>
> All this said, I think the first thing we must do first is define what is
> going to be included as "proper" GNUstep.  What are we going to include of
> the "Documentation" menu?  Obviously GNUstep-make, -base, -gui and -back
> are going to have documentation, but what else?  Is libobjc2 considered
> "proper" GNUstep?  If so, shouldn't it's documentation be prominently
> displayed, as well?  What other projects will be linked from the website?
> Richard's EC and WebServer aren't currently mentioned anywhere on the
> website, only the wiki (at least, that I know of).  If these side project
> are "proper" GNUstep, shouldn't they be integrated with the rest of the
> project?

I think the first is clarify:
 * Are my assumptions right about the main audience, as stated in the README
   file? If not, then this should be made clear, and agreed on. Based on that
   outcome, the style/content can be addressed to the audience.

 * Maybe re-evaluate the menu structure. I.e. only a menu on the top, and
   dropping the dock at the bottom. Make the menu then have more levels
   i.e. like in one of my previous attempts:
   https://www.l00-bugdead-prods.de/index5.html
   OR I'm open for other menu suggestions. Basically, the menu structure
   I intended to have, see below. One of the first things is to agree on a
   menu/site structure.

 * Assuming my assumptions about the main audience are not too wrong,
   I'd still start small with the new webpage. Then extending it.
   First start with the core stuff, i.e. make/base/gui/back, and also including
libobjc2.
   Further including Gorm and Projectcenter, GWorkspace and SystemPreferences.

 * Then, when all this contents is there, and the group agreed on adding
   information about the other libs/tools hosted in SVN, I'd be happy to add
   contents about it on the website.

> Additional thought:
> * Are we going to continue supporting Nikolaus' Software Index?  If so, how
> can that be better integrated with the new website?  The current design
> looks very foreign.  Is it even something that we will continue to support?

As far as I can see, It's just php, so, I don't think it should be too hard to
tweak it to fit into the look and feel. But I would care about the softwareindex
then later, after the main pages are done.

> Overall, I think the design is good and I would support the effort in
> whatever way I can (I know absolutely nothing about HTML or CSS, but can
> help with content and structure).

Basically, the last web page, pure html 4.01, without CSS I've done is at least
5 years ago ;) My knowledge about HTML/CSS is just from only the last month
or two.

cheers,
Sebastian