Re: Intermediate Summary: Re: GNUstep.org website redesign proposal

From: Stefan Bidi
Subject: Re: Intermediate Summary: Re: GNUstep.org website redesign proposal
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 08:13:10 -0600

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 6:55 AM, Sebastian Reitenbach <address@hidden> wrote:
How about just calling it as simple as: "GNUstep Runtime"
That GNUstep runs on Objective-C, should be clear from the general description
about what GNUstep is anyways.

I would just like to add that it is very likely that there is still some confusion around the "GNU runtime" and the "GNUstep runtime".  I'd imagine this is a problem for people new to the GNUstep eco-system.  Most, if not all, GNU/Linux distros still include GCC as the standard compiler, and do not support the new features.

The first step for anyone new to GNUstep, after they realize the distro supplied packages are sorely out-of-date, will be to compile it using the standard compiler/runtime supplied to build GNUstep.

Then a page dedicated to the runtime, could go into the gory details of all the nice features it provides.

Are we now saying libobjc2 is the "preferred" runtime?  If so, it implies that clang is the preferred compiler.  I have no arguments for or against it, I just want to clarify.

cheers,
Sebastian

PS: It would be nice if we could get the GNU runtime deprecated within GCC.  I think I remember David tried integrating the GNUstep runtime with GCC and got frustrated, but GCC is still the "GNU compiler" and the standard compiler on GNU/Linux, having 2 slightly incompatible runtimes is confusing, even for me who has followed the project for over 10 years.