Re: Intermediate Summary: Re: GNUstep.org website redesign proposal

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Intermediate Summary: Re: GNUstep.org website redesign proposal
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 16:31:31 +0000

On 7 Jan 2014, at 16:13, Ivan Vučica <address@hidden> wrote:

> I definitely wouldn't go with anything like Objective-C+ARC since I, for one,
> don't think ARC is nearly as an important addition to the language as
> @synthesize.

I completely disagree.  @synthsize is a small improvement.  It lets you
generate methods, but you can already do most of what it does with a macro.
It's nice, but it's not that special.  ARC, in contrast, is a big change to the
language.  It fundamentally changes how you think about writing code, letting
you think about object ownership rather than reference counts.  I'd put the
non-fragile ABI in the same category as synthesised properties - it makes code
cleaner and easier to maintain, but doesn't really change how you use it.
Blocks are in the same category as ARC: they're a big change to the language
and change how you write code.  If we were to highlight two features that we
support, blocks and ARC would be top of the list.

> And five years from now, any arguments against naming it relative to
> Objective-C 2.0 will stand against naming it Objective-C+ARC or similar.

If our web site is still saying the same thing in five years, then we have
other problems.

David

-- Sent from my brain