Re: [bug #41125] -make documentation is un-installable

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: [bug #41125] -make documentation is un-installable
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 13:54:46 +0000

On 8 Jan 2014, at 12:38, Markus Hitter <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am 08.01.2014 13:11, schrieb Niels Grewe:
>> Markus expects it to use the configuration you just set using make’s
>> configure script, while it in fact will use the configuration of the
>> last installed version of gnustep-make.

I eventually got that.

> Thank you. That's entirely the point. Because in some environments there
> is no "last installed version of gnustep-make".

I'd still like to know why you can't set one up?

>> In fact it’s very, very easy to switch the documentation
>> to using the present (not yet installed) configuration: You just have
>> to set GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES=../ at the beginning of
>> Documentation/GNUmakefile.
>
> +5 for your guru level :-) I'll try this.

Since defining GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES to ../ before running make is telling it that
gnustep-make is installed in ../ this has a good chance of working perfectly.

But, if the normal install process changes the layout of files at all (ie the
relationships between the installed files is not the same as the relationships
between them before installation),  there might be some problems; which is why
I  suggested installing somewhere first (eg install to ./tmp and then use that
copy) as the current Documentation GNUmakefile does.

So the safe way to do it would be to have a script something like

configure ....
export DESTDIR=./tmpinst
make install
cd Documentation
export GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES =../tmpinst/pathtomakefilesdependingonlayoutyouused
make install
unset GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES
cd ..
rm -rf ./tmpinst