Re: Intermediate Summary: Re: GNUstep.org website redesign proposal

From: Niels Grewe
Subject: Re: Intermediate Summary: Re: GNUstep.org website redesign proposal
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 14:11:02 +0000

> Am 12.01.2014 um 00:06 schrieb "Riccardo Mottola" <address@hidden>:
>
> ARC instead is more a "taste". It is a new addition in the GC discussion. I
> personally prefer ref-counting.

This seems to be a common misconception: ARC *is* reference counting; it has
very little to do with garbage collection. I also think the new ownership model
fits the overall language design pretty well: Just as you distinguish between
method calls (object world) and function calls (C world) in traditional
Objective-C, ARC-support enables you to explicitly distinguish between object
references and references to untyped blobs of memory, which (coincidentally)
allows the compiler to do most of the reference counting for you.

Cheers,

Niels