Re: Intermediate Summary: Re: GNUstep.org website redesign proposal

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Intermediate Summary: Re: GNUstep.org website redesign proposal
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 06:18:31 -0800

On 13 Jan 2014, at 04:04, Niels Grewe <address@hidden> wrote:

> There’s no tracing, there’s no attempt made at detecting cyclic references,
> so you still have to think carefully about memory management.

I think it's slightly more subtle than that.  With ARC, you have to care about
object ownership, not about memory management.  You get memory management for
free, but only if you get object ownership right.  This isn't too different
from tracing schemes, where you still have to think about ensuring that
references to an object don't outlast their last use if you want to not have to
think about memory management.