Re: Build a project with PC in Windows

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Build a project with PC in Windows
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 08:24:43 +0000

On 25 Mar 2014, at 07:19, Germán Arias <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2014-03-25 00:03:05 -0600 Germán Arias <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On 2014-03-24 02:40:11 -0600 Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like an error in the makefile to me. Whar do you get when running
>>> make on the file?
>>>
>>> Fred
>>>
>>> On the road
>>>

>> In some cases works fine, but in others no. And I think I finally found the
>> problem. Projectcenter replaces tags in almost all files: project name, file
>> name, date, user name, ... However the user name could be problematic. I'm
>> not sure, but I think that if the user name has non English characters, PC
>> will change the file to unicode. But Windows don't likes unicode source
>> files
>> and this cause the problem. I make an app project with Gemas.app and works
>> perfectly, but with PC is problematic if user name has non English
>> characters. I will think in a solution for the user name and see if this
>> solve the problem.
>>
>> Germán.
>>

> Solved the problem with user name, make works fine in the shell. But I still
> get the same error when use CreateProcessW().

I would have thought you should be using NSTask to launch/run make (though as
long as the arguments are correct CreateProcessW should get you the same
effect).

I expect that if you have any name containing whitespace it's quite likely to
mess up makefiles (all it takes is for one place in the makefiles to fail to
quote the whitespace properly), so you might want to look into that.

However, it does sound like a possible characterset issue ... since make will
be from unix source, it probably expects utf-8 values passed to it.
CreateProcessW on the other hand uses UTF16 (and that's what NSTask will be
passing to it).
I would *expect* the mingw implementation of make to translate the UTF16 to
UTF8 ... but perhaps it's not (or not always) doing that?