Re: NSRunLoop state in GNUstep

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSRunLoop state in GNUstep
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 15:16:44 +0100

On 30 Apr 2014, at 15:07, Luboš Doležel <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm examining how to integrate NSRunLoop with CFRunLoop and I'm under the
> impression that since there was no CFRunLoop in the past, GNUstep devs have
> extended NSRunLoop to support things not normally possible with pure
> NSRunLoop.
>
> For example, I can see that there is the possibility to monitor file
> descriptors for reading/writing/etc with GNUstep's NSRunLoop/GsRunLoopCtxt,
> but on OS X you're supposed to go with CFRunLoop sources to achieve that.
> NSRunLoop supports distributed object connections and timers only.
>
> Is this correct?

Yes, the GNUstep NSRunLoop implementation pre-dates CFRunLoop by quite a few
years and had to have extensions for functionality which was hidden in the NeXT
implementation.

Ideally we'd have a new low-level run loop with both NSRunLoop and CFRunLoop
refactored to operate on top of it (or implement CFRunLoop inside base and
rework NSRunLoop on top of that).