Re: Multi-threaded warning

From: Amr Aboelela
Subject: Re: Multi-threaded warning
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 12:10:17 -0700

I am running generating libobjc.a from the source, not sure what is the version but it has:

enum

{

gcc_abi = 8,

gnustep_abi = 9,

gc_abi = 10

};

in abi_version.c

and it has a file called ACCOUNCE.1.7

and in ANNOUNCE, it says:

GNUstep Objective-C Runtime 1.8

Also the Foundation (base) I am generating it from the source, using the Linux Makefile

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 6:27 PM, Germán Arias <address@hidden> wrote:
El mar, 12-08-2014 a las 09:40 +0100, Richard Frith-Macdonald escribió:
> On 12 Aug 2014, at 09:28, David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > The bug is in the GCC Objective-C runtime.  The runtime is responsible for ensuring that +initialize is thread safe.  The 'fix' is to use the GNUstep runtime as well.  Is there a reason why you're using GCC for Objective-C code?
>
> But the problem in the gnu runtime was fixed in May 2011
> And gcc-4.6.3 was released in March 2012
>
> So in this case it seems that the user must have actually configured/built gnustep with a runtime/compiler older than the one they said they used .  Perhaps they configured it with one runtime/compiler and then switched to a more recent one but didn't reconfigure/rebuild gnustep-base after the change.

I have gcc from official packages in my distro. This should be a problem
with Ubuntu packages (which isn't a surprise). Now I remember that in
may previous distro I installed gcc from source. I will install a newer
version of gcc and see if the problem is still present.

Germán.