Re: patch for start on Opal Work

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: patch for start on Opal Work
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 18:13:12 +0000

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 8:10 AM, Johan Ceuppens <address@hidden> wrote:
I am making a fuzzy networks driver for graphical display. I still need to think out the design apart from the logic e.g. which machine learning I will implement such as a fuzzy set parser with NSString.

The OpalFuzzyDB is a dictionary in the form of tuples with ("extremely", SEL), this can then be asked to the backend in the form of e.g. "paint not extremely" if the mouse moves and so on.

Can you clarify what does "fuzzy networks driver for graphical display" mean?

How does this relate to Core Graphics APIs (of which Opal is an implementation of), or to the gnustep-back backend that uses Opal to draw content to the screen?

Are you certain this should live at this layer of the architecture of a GNUstep app?

This type of fuzzy logic would be useful for AI or perhaps in some layout solver. I'm unsure how it helps a graphics library  (Opal) or an interface to a graphics library (Opal backend inside gnustep-back)?

It'll be OK, don;t worry. :-)

"Don't worry" is what worries me :-)

Keep in mind that it is very useful to be able to explain your designs to others. Currently, I don't really know what you're doing, so I'd really like to read more about your plans. Even if that means reading multiple page designdoc. Without a clearer explanation, I don't think anyone can tell whether what you've started makes sense or not.

Currently, I have a feeling you know what you're doing, but may be trying to stuff it into the wrong place.

Can you clarify why you believe this should live in the Opal backend, what is the relationship of your changes to the Core Graphics API, why this is universally useful to a large number of GNUstep apps, why can't this live as an independent library, etc?
--
Ivan Vučica
address@hidden