Re: GS and MinGW (was Re: Porting libobjc2 to MinGW)

From: Roland Schwingel
Subject: Re: GS and MinGW (was Re: Porting libobjc2 to MinGW)
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 08:13:47 +0100

Hi...

> So on the topic of gnustep for windows targets using mingw,  is that
> mingw32 or mingw64?
>
> I see from the mingw64 page that it was initially created as
> a way to port some objc code to windows.
>
> DF

We are using GNUStep Foundation for over a decade on Windows. A long
time ago 32bit but for some years now also 64bit. We founded the
development of mingw-w64 to get a 64bit GNUStep on windows! See
History page on mingw-w64.

GNUStep Foundation runs really fine on windows in both 32 and 64bit using gcc. As we still use gcc there is no (lib)objc2. So libobjc1. Gcc also lacks most of the ObjC2 extensions. So even there would be a libobjc2 it could not be used together with gcc. Clang itself still has a bunch of more or less serious issues on windows 64bit in generell code
generation. gcc is much more superior here. But I have to confess
that I haven't looked into clang for at least 15 months.

But none the less it would be very good to get at least libobjc2 running on both 32 bit and 64bit windows - with both compilers as
a starting point.

Roland