win32 show-stoppers

From: Barnaby Jones
Subject: win32 show-stoppers
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 09:03:28 +0100

During my attempt to build libobjc2 for windows I stumbled over several problems. I still investigate it because I find Objective-C superior to C++ but at the moment I find no other alternative to compile applications on all major systems:

1. Exception unwinding: For windows you need seh support. This is now initial implemented in Clang but still missing in LLVM. The GCC 32Bit unwinding lib was also missing from my (Linux) build. This missing feature was caused by a (now expired) patent issue.

2. MinGW Clang support: MinGW (w64) only supports GCC I could not find help for several compilation problems. Also I don't know if all necessary MinGW patches are now in the clang (repository) trunk.

3. CMake: The host/client cross-compilation rules for Clang are missing.

if an experimental fork/branch for gnustep/libobjc2 on win32 x64 would be created I would gladly help you with the port.