Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 14:21:21 +0100

On 25 May 2015, at 13:48, Ivan Vučica <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Gregory Casamento <address@hidden> wrote:
> The issue with savannah at this point is that they only allow one repository
> per user.   This is quite different from git hub which allows as many
> repositories as a user wants or needs.   This is the only problem really
> facing us.
>
> I think it's sensible to use Github, Bitbucket or something else, then, and
> ask Savannah if they have timeframe for supporting multiple repositories.

I agree.  Over the past couple of years, I’ve moved to using GitHub for
basically everything. For work, we have modified versions of a number of
projects that contain patches that are no no interest to upstream (support for
a research architecture, using a research compiler, or better integration with
some analysis tools that we’re working on).  GitHub makes it trivial for us to
maintain those forks, keep them up to date, and allow other people to try them.

The code review, bug tracking, and wiki tools in GitHub are okay - not great,
but okay.  The web hosting is quite nice (I’m actually using it’s Jekyll
support for some teaching resource pages).  For FreeBSD, I’ve used their code
review stuff for some external contributors, as it’s very easy to have them
work on a fork of the FreeBSD repo, do the code review in GitHub, and then
generate a rebased commit that we can merge using git-svn.  It would be even
easier if FreeBSD used git, but there are a number of things in our project
structure that make it quite difficult.

The main advantage of GitHub is the community and developer familiarity.  Our
students are required for their second year group project and final year
projects to use some form of revision control.  Almost all of them git +
GitHub, the remaining ones use hg + Bitbucket.

Savannah is not somewhere that new developers look for actively maintained
projects, it’s a graveyard of dead code.  Even I’m surprised when I find a
project hosted there that still has active contributors.

David

-- Sent from my Apple II