Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 19:37:17 +0200

On 05/25/15 09:09, Gregory Casamento wrote:
Hey guys,

I wanted to run this past the community to see what the general feeling
is.  I am considering a move back to savannah utilizing git instead of
subversion.

The implementation of git on savannah, I believe, allows checkout and
check-in VIA subversion.  I would at least like to try to maintain a
mirror there (like the one on github) so that everything can be accessed
in one place and those who want to use git can do so.

The reasons I have for thinking about using git are:

1)  the branching and cherrypicking capabilities.  I think it's well
known that git's capabilities in this area far outstrip those of SVN
hands-down.  I don't think there's any debate on this issue.

2) community. Rightly or wrongly a large community of developers prefer
git over any other SCMS.   While I understand that certain people in our
community don't like git for religious reasons, I also think it's time
to reconsider religious arguments for technical decisions.

3) Actively developed.  GIT is under active development.  There have
been few releases of SVN over the last few years.  One might attribute
this to stability, but there haven't been that many advancements in SVN
in a while.

4) Tools.  There are a wider range of tools on Linux, Windows and Mac to
deal with git repositories these days.  Additionally there are tools
which can be used to make code reviews much easier.

I would like to reach some sort of consensus on this rather than a flame
war.  I would ask that only active committers comment on this email
thread so that we can be clear about the reasons for or against this
move.   I have stated the reasons I have above.

Please let me know what you think.

I'm all for using Git.

Sebastian

GC