Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 18:54:34 +0200

Hi,

Am 25.05.2015 um 18:12 schrieb Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden>:

Hi,

why is this thread actually cross-posted between our own mailing list??

Don’t know. I just reply all…

Ivan Vučica wrote:
While 'divide-and-conquer' searching to find the exact commit where a certain bug was introduced, do you honestly want to deal with the delays introduced by 'svn up'?

Wait not, but I want to easily know what I am doing. I did very heavy divide-and-conquer bug search lately and found this invaluable:

"Walking through versions is simpler in Subversion because it uses sequential revision numbers (1,2,3,..); Git uses unpredictable SHA-1 hashes.

Not at all. git uses the “Parent” commit. So you can go back in history. Just not by sequential numbers but by position in the history chain.

The command ‘git bisect’ tracks that for you so you don’t have to care about it.

Going back to date-time? no thanks if I can avoid this.

With git you never need to do that.

In this case SVN is even superior to beloved svn.

Do you want to wait for the server every time you need to 'svn blame' a file? What if you want to 'svn blame' fifty files

never had to use svn blame.

I also have never used it with SVN but with git it is quite good to find out who did introduce some specific code line, when and in which context.
You need it for finding the right person to discuss with. Of course only if there are multiple authors of a file.

BR,
Nikolaus