Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 12:59:09 +0100

On 29 May 2015, at 12:29, Gregory Casamento <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I used svn2git, which allows better control over how things are mapped to
>> branches and tags.  This version preserves the structure of the svn repo
>> better and we’d probably want to do something similar for other GNUstep
>> projects, making sure that branches in svn become git branches and tags in
>> svn become git tags.
>
> I see what you mean.   I didn't use svn2git, I should look into doing that.

It’s not a criticism - git svn and svn2git (which uses git svn, but also adds
some stuff) are intended for different purposes.  git svn is intended to allow
people who prefer to use git to work with an upstream that uses svn.  It’s a
good way of keeping a git mirror of an svn repo that allows two-way syncing,
but is intentionally non-invasive (GitHub, by the way, provides this in
reverse, allowing you to do an svn co of a ‘git’ repo).  svn2git is intended
for projects migrating from svn to git, without the intention of maintaining
the svn repo as the live and authoritative upstream.

David

-- Sent from my brain