Re: compiling libobjc-2.0 and gnustep on Ubuntu 14.04

From: Christopher Armstrong
Subject: Re: compiling libobjc-2.0 and gnustep on Ubuntu 14.04
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 07:15:08 +1000

Hi all

I was attempting to get GNUstep to compile a little while ago, and I ended up putting together some Chef scripts to automate the build of a developer VM. At the moment, it works only for Ubuntu 14.04 and llvm-3.4, but the idea was to expand the scripts out for other Linux variants and to compile and install llvm/clang. It depends on the git branch of libobjc2 that David has been maintaining. You can use it with Vagrant, which will download everything including a fresh VM and Chef, or on a fresh VM with Chef alone (not tested).

https://github.com/chris-armstrong/gnustep-chef-bootstrap

** Do not use this on your regular developer workstation - it creates users with default passwords and installs new system packages. **

On another note, I agree that llvm/clang takes a while to compile from source. --enable-targets=host option to ./configure reduces the amount of code llvm compiles.

Cheers
Chris