Re: Wayland backend design

From: Sergio L. Pascual
Subject: Re: Wayland backend design
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 20:17:44 +0100

On Thu, 2016-01-14 at 17:06 +0100, alex wrote:
> > Il giorno 14 gen 2016, alle ore 16:35, Sergio L. Pascual <address@hidden
> > ga.org> ha scritto:
> >
> > On Thu, 2016-01-14 at 00:23 -0500, Gregory Casamento wrote:
> > > Also, which version of the Rik theme are you using here?
>

> > The one from this repo (https://github.com/AlessandroSangiuliano/ri
> > k.th
> > eme) with a minor change to enlarge the main menu bar.
>
> I’d like to know how you got the clock on the right side of the menu
> bar, and if it is possible to do the same thing with X11.
> If you forked from github the theme, could you provide your repo so I
> can see if your little changes are also useful for the mainstream
> theme on X11.

The only change I've made to the theme is increasing the menuBarHeight
from 26 to 32.

The clock (and potentially other things, as launchers or a systray) is
drawn by the modified weston shell, in a top-level window (surface, in
Wayland terminology) with transparent background, which takes 1/4 of
the screen's width, aligned to the right.

I took this idea from OSX. If you run there an app with an unresponsive
GUI, you'll see the main menu bar appears as busy too, but the right
side of it (where the clock, wifi and volume control are drawn) still
works. This means there's a different component there, which is being
managed and drawn by a different process.

Sergio.