Re: Wayland backend design

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Wayland backend design
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 21:09:48 -0500

I just committed this change with minimal modifications to the patch.   Seemed useful enough, so I added it.  No need for it to bit rot.

GC

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Matt Rice <address@hidden> wrote:

It'd be cool to see this running with NiftyTitleBar (which requires GNUstep rendered decorations),

There was a patch to Terminal.app which allowed (a certain non-standard) escape sequence in the shell prompt to call setRepresentedFilename: which I found incredibly useful

ftp://gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/contrib/NiftyTitleBar-0.0.2.tar.gz
http://malmberg.org/alex/scrapheap/Terminal-filename.patch

I'd be surprised if this did not require some fixing though to get it working again.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 7:39 AM, Gregory Casamento <address@hidden> wrote:
Looks great! One of GNUstep's strengths is being able to render it's own window decorations

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 10:37 Sergio L. Pascual <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, 2016-01-14 at 00:23 -0500, Gregory Casamento wrote:
> Also, which version of the Rik theme are you using here?

The one from this repo (https://github.com/AlessandroSangiuliano/rik.th
eme) with a minor change to enlarge the main menu bar.

> I can't stress enough how cool this is.  One issue that has always
> plagued GNUstep on X is the lack of full control of the window
> border.  On X, for instance, the curved corners of the windows don't
> show properly.  With your wayland backend they seem to display
> perfectly.

Wayland favors client-side decorations, so this backend just returns NO
in handlesWindowDecorations. The hard work is being done by the Rik
theme :-)

Sergio.