Re: side projects and sub projects

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: side projects and sub projects
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 10:55:15 +0100

Hi,

Stefan Bidigaray ha scritto:

I agree with you that the overall goal of GNUstep--the GNU project, not the community that enable the project--already has a stated goal. I also agree, however, that the project is not clear about the "other stuff". For example, GNUstep includes GWorkspace and System Preferences as officially supported packages, but these are desktop applications. It also includes things like EC, Performance, GDL, etc in the official repository which, despite being useful frameworks, go beyond the stated goal. Like it or not, these sub-projects add to the confusion.

what is GNUstep? I think that actually our SVN repositories are actually clearer than the websites

we have:
1) "core": Founcation+AppKit
2) developer apps
3) user apps
4) additional libraries
5) themes

outside gnustep itself we have:
6) "non gnu" apps (nonfsf)
7) GAP
8) (...)

I usually we refer to more than "core" when we think of GNUstep. the core is a direct competitor of GTK and QT. But we want for example or developer tools? We might be clearer about splitting things and doing a rebranding?

It might actually "dilute" the GNUstep concept.. or it might strengthen it.

Riccardo