Fwd: Re: NSMovieDirectory

From: Bertrand Dekoninck
Subject: Fwd: Re: NSMovieDirectory
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 15:05:18 +0100

<mailto:address@hidden>>:

    Hi,

    Bertrand Dekoninck wrote:

        But the NSMoviesDirectory is lacking.

    true, I deemed not to add it back then. We don't even play movies
    and found it quite useless.
    Also, I would call it Videos instead of Music, exactly as I called
    Images instead of Pictures.
    Given that, I left it for future work

Well, there isn't a GNUstep movie player now but we can play videos
trough an app wrapper. I already have a Totem and VLC app wrappers in my RikIcons repository. I play videos everyday and of course it's needed for GWorkspace's users.

Off-topic : wasn't there a cocoa port of mplayer ?

About the name : I'm shared :-/
In a cocoa compatibility view, they should be named Pictures and Movies.
There should be cocoa apps who make use of theses constants.

But in compatibility point of view with free OS's adn other Desktop
Environments, it's more complex : I didn't find a freedesktop spec on this.

Gnome names the images folder "Images" as Kde names it "Pictures".
Both name the videos folder "Videos"

And I didn't look at Windows either ("My Videos" ? really ?)

        Should I try to add it to base or to NSWorkspace.m as
        NSMusicDirectory is already ?

    I would add it the way others were added, thus still go through
    string mappings, to be consistent.
    Furthermore it would be nice to update also Thematic to handle it.

You mean : add it to NSPathUtilies.h/m first, as NSDesktop,
NSApplications and others, as Ivan suggested ?

I wasn't aware of Thematic.

    GWorkspace should then "work"out of the box, it should not need
    special hacks.

I hoped so.

    Last but not least: new images need to be produced for the default
    theme and for all other major themes, otherwise they will pick the
    default theme icon which then sticks out as a sore thumb. Making the
    icons is most of the work :)

I was already planning to add a custom icon to the default theme. My
icon in RikIcons is ready (even if I should update it to better look at
48 px with your new thumbnail code)

I could look at other themes in gnustep archive and GAP.
Anyway, they could be at least be updated with their own default folder
icon as common_MoviesIcon (or Video...), if no custom icon is ready.

    Do you really want to go through all of this?  :) :) :) :)

I think I want. My programming skills are little, but it's just a matter of copying what has already be done, so...

It's only a matter of try/error and time.

    In case let's do it, I as I did for all other folders...

Bertrand