Re: NSMovieDirectory

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: NSMovieDirectory
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 15:05:06 +0000

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 08:53 Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden> wrote:

Also, I would call it Videos instead of Music, exactly as I called
Images instead of Pictures.
Given that, I left it for future work

We should stick to names used by other implementations in both symbol names for constants and values exported by these symbols.

By default we should return a directory matching the other implementations' values (I.e. ${HOME}/Pictures).

Actual directory path being an implementation detail and not something a user would usually worry about, we can choose display another value in UI. This is what other (sane) systems do.

And if we choose to follow freedesktop.org user-dirs, we can always query the relevant data files to figure out correct names, whether it's Videos vs Movies vs Filmovi, or Images vs Pictures vs Slike.
  http://askubuntu.com/q/457047/18187

So I'd strongly stick to the above and NOT use directories just because other free desktop environments do; if anything, we can return multiple directories (both Movies and Videos). Let's say, if the alternative directory exists.

And long term we can have a compile time flag to adopt xdo basedir spec directories, as well as special user directories.