Re: NSMovieDirectory

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: NSMovieDirectory
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 17:55:51 +0000

Hey,

Sorry if I was unclear ;)

- yes, let's do it as was (correctly) done thus far: add new directory search constant and code to base, then add icon code to gui

What is not important right now:
- let's fix "Images" as a separate thing. The way it's named and implemented is, sadly, wrong – but let's focus on adding Movies and Music.
- let's consider localisation separately.

- FD.o compat is a distraction and a long term "maybe" thing, not something that should be done now. Sorry for bringing it up, I was reminded of it trying to remember what directory name do other frameworks and desktop environments use.

Thank you for caring!

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 16:35 Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

Ivan Vučica wrote:
> Actual directory path being an implementation detail and not something
> a user would usually worry about, we can choose display another value
> in UI. This is what other (sane) systems do.

Guys, we have 5 out of 6 done, so the 6th should just follow what we
have now so that it can be released and we are sure it works fine.
Localisation is very tricky and Bertrand and I are doing experiments on
how Mac is apparently inconsistent.

> And if we choose to follow freedesktop.org <http://freedesktop.org>
> user-dirs, we can always query the relevant data files to figure out
> correct names, whether it's Videos vs Movies vs Filmovi, or Images vs
> Pictures vs Slike.
> http://askubuntu.com/q/457047/18187
>
> So I'd strongly stick to the above and NOT use directories just
> because other free desktop environments do; if anything, we can return
> multiple directories (both Movies and Videos). Let's say, if the
> alternative directory exists.

This could cause quite some issues with localizations requiring a
multiple indirection, essentially a double mapping which I'd like to
avoid now.

The physical names have to be in English so they can be recognized or a
mapping needs to be done which we don't have right now. That's what mac
and Windows do.

> And long term we can have a compile time flag to adopt xdo basedir
> spec directories, as well as special user directories.

Yes, but it requires more work, I wills tick to a gradual
implementation. Continuous evolution.

Riccardo