Proposal to change non-flattened build behavior

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Proposal to change non-flattened build behavior
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 17:49:28 +0100

I'm really pleased that Eric Heintzman (taking over as the only active Debian
maintainer for GNUstep) has recently been working hard to update Debian
packages to the latest releases (he's done make and base, and is currently
working on gui/back).

It seems to me that we should help him as much as possible, and in light of the
fact that Debian adopted a system for multi-architecture installation a few
years ago (not the GNUstep one  ... but not all that dissimilar), I'd like to
change our multi-architecture support to match.  IMO adopting their scheme, as
well as aiding packaging, would actually simplify the layout a little.

What i'm thinking of is:

When building non-flattened, the subdirectory name for libraries/binaries would
be changed for Debian compatibility (and simplicity) to use a directory
whose name is of the form architecture/library-combo rather than nested
directories of the form cpu/os-abi/library-combo.
The architecture name format is a sanitised triplet cpu-os-abi (where
previously we had cpu/os-abi).

When building non-flattened, header files would be installed in an architecture
and library-combo dependent subdirectory in the same way that binary libraries
are installed.  This removes an inconsistency and makes sense with Debian
multi-arch support which puts headers in an architecture specific subdirectory.

Architecture specific resource files would similarly be installed in the
modified directory hierarchy.

Obviously this would take significant changes to gnustep-make, as well as
modifications in gnustep-base to look things up in the right place.  Anyone
building non-flattened with the existing layout would of course need to do a
clean install after the change, but I don't think that would much bother the
kind of people who use the multi-arch layout anyway.

Comments?