Re: Proposal to change non-flattened build behavior

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Proposal to change non-flattened build behavior
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 09:54:40 +0200

Hi,

On 03/06/2016 18:49, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
When building non-flattened, the subdirectory name for libraries/binaries would
be changed for Debian compatibility (and simplicity) to use a directory
whose name is of the form architecture/library-combo rather than nested
directories of the form cpu/os-abi/library-combo.
The architecture name format is a sanitised triplet cpu-os-abi (where
previously we had cpu/os-abi).

When building non-flattened, header files would be installed in an architecture
and library-combo dependent subdirectory in the same way that binary libraries
are installed.  This removes an inconsistency and makes sense with Debian
multi-arch support which puts headers in an architecture specific subdirectory.

does this mean that we go from, eg, having

x86/linux-gnu/library
amd64/linux-gnu/library
x86/netbsd-gnu/library
x86/netbsd-next/library

(I don't remember at hand our ABI versions)

to something more like that:

x86-linux-gnu/library
x86-netbsd-gnu/library
amd64-linux-gnu/library

?
I think that makes sense. Perhaps our system looks somewhat cleaner, but it really doesn't have that added value and the latter looks more similar to the build-system triplets of configure

My question goes with headers though. Shouldn't headers considered common to all architectures? Or do we actually "install" something configured? I think to remember that we have all generic, perhaps the only system configured thing is our gnustep-config generated by configure. In case, of course, it make sense to have the same structure for headers and libraries.

In any case, it sounds like a good idea to work on. Rebuilding everything isn't a problem either and I suppose most of us use flattened layouts when building from source.

Riccardo