Re: non-flattened filesystem layout

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: non-flattened filesystem layout
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 18:04:34 +0200

Hi,

On 25/06/2016 09:49, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
I finally got round to committing the changes to the non-flattened directory
layout that I emailed about a few weeks ago.

The move to seamless Debian multi-arch compatibility is very much a work in
progress, but even so I'd be grateful if people who habitually hack on gnustep
would switch to using the non-flattened layout and provide bug reports.

Many years ago, the non-flattened layout was the only option, but we moved away
from it because we thought the added complexity was discouraging people from
using GNUstep.  That was probably true, but now that 64bit machines are
commonplace, its a lot more usual to see different library directories etc, and
maybe we could aim to switch the default back to non-flattened at some point.

I actually wonder what gain it would be. At most, on a single machine, I'd have 32bit and 64bit architectures. And even then, I guess it is more interesting for Frameworks and Bundles that could be used by both, but eventually one chooses to have an application built as either one or the other.

I see non-flattened something for binary distribution, a heritage from NeXT days where /Network was much used. On shared stuff one needs multi-arch, but on a single machine?

But symbolic links don't work on windows XP (except NTFS with an add-on tool
apparently) or FAT filesystems at all.  Could we drop support for XP and for
building/installing on the old filesystem?  Or would we want to do something
like copy all the binaries?

I would rather not. Although Win7 is more widespread, WinXP is used in a lot of places (like VMs) and especially its server pendant is used, I'd rather support FAT and not depend on NTFS. I myself build GNUstep more on Vista and Win7, I do us FAT. Support for NTFS is bad on Linux; BSD and Mac so most shared volumes are common in FAT! So do I. Network file-systems also are not as capable of NTFS.
Is non-flattened of use on Windows?

Actually we just discovered that also flattened has troubles on windows without tricks, even if I was building on Win7.

The Debian FHS installation expects something more like this (rough idea);

If I see the idea of non-flattened as a clean way to have different versions inside a bundle, I see somehow little value in having non-flattened in FHS. What advantages would it have?

We may also need a few new options in gnustep-make to more clearly
differentiate between types of resources.  On the other hand, perhaps we can
just put architecture dependent resources in an appropriate subdirectory in the
source tree and build in some intelligence to gnustep-make to have it
understand what they are and how they should be installed.

Do you mean differentiating resources like plists, languages and images versus bundled frameworks and bundles, which are arch dependent?

Riccardo