Re: GUI updates do not show even from separate thread

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GUI updates do not show even from separate thread
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 09:31:55 +0100

> On 14 Jul 2016, at 09:39, Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Fred Kiefer wrote:
>> we get the expected behaviour. You could use this code for now to get
>> your application working correctly under GNUstep. But on MacOSX none of
>> this hacks should be needed. Riccardo, could you please try to run FTP
>> with that runloop line removed on a Mac and report back whether the
>> progress bar gets filled smoothly?
>
> I tested on Mac and my memory decieved me. I tested an old Mac version, but
> without the runloop line, the progress bar on mac jumps from the beginning to
> the end like on GNUstep.
> So the line is needed and that is fine, it confirms we canand should match
> that behaviour.
>
> The only doubt remaining is thus now why we broke Windows :(

It took me several hours to track this down because the problem was not
actually in the code changes I made, but the change exposed a bug in the low
level polling for windows messages.  The low level code was not returning YES
as it should when an event had been received/handled, so the higher level code
depending on that return value was not working properly.  This should be fixed
in trunk (works for me).