Re: Invalid postscript generated from simple Ink

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Invalid postscript generated from simple Ink
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 14:26:55 +0200

Hi,

Fred Kiefer wrote:
thank you for your analysis. It looks like line 271 in the file
NSFontDescriptor.m needs an added test for face being null. But you are also
correct that this case should not happen,  looks like we commented out setting
the font face in the attributes dictionary in GSFontInfo.m line 796 for some
reason. I cannot remember when and why and don't have the time to inspect this
until after my holidays. Adding the first fix should help you for now.

thanks. I will test and add the small fix. It is a safety feature, but for we will loose the face information.

However as I wrote, I tried printing with many faces, and they all return null. Bold, Italic.. etc. Also many fonts have Roman instead of Regular. I don't know if we should "convert" that or treat that one as basic family?

Using the cairo backend I see these font names:

/Helvetica findfont 12 scalefont setfont 50 500 moveto
(thus no face)

/FontName /BitstreamVeraSans-Roman def
(thus exlpicit Roman face)

/FontName /BitstreamVeraSans-Oblique def

the faces are those seen in the Font Panel.

Checking the file history, I think you never "removed" support for the face attribute, but checked it in that way many years ago. Look at this commit:

https://github.com/gnustep/gui/commit/e1bb31f0d2851291efbdde2c2e596baca94120ab

My only guess is that Face and Trait somehow overlap in concept and you implemented Traits ? e.g. if I have a "Face" which is "Oblique"... is automatically the Trait Italic ? or can I have "both" ?

Riccardo