Re: 32bit GS on 64bit Win rebuild base from src

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: 32bit GS on 64bit Win rebuild base from src
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 09:01:13 -0600

On Aug 12, 2016, at 7:59 AM, Ivan Vučica <address@hidden> wrote:

1. Here is a dump of my mingw32 environment. Are the variables right? Is the path right? Is anything missing? Is anything conflicted? Is anything unnecessary?

I think I already have svn in the gnustep-devel package, but otherwise it looks fine.

2. In building gnustep-base32 on mingw32, the make/configure script could not determine my processor or hardware (vmware / x5675).

# Architecture Goop
ARCH=i686-pc-mingw32                 # config.guess failed
ARCH_GOOP="--build ${ARCH} --target ${ARCH} --host ${ARCH}"
CONFIGURE="./configure ${ARCH_GOOP}"

Was i686-pc-mingw32 the right triple to use?

I don’t know if that’s right and I’m not sure it matters much, but it might.

The issue is Windows is very very finicky.  You can get the problems you are seeing if something like the libtiff library is compiled with the wrong flag (I’ve had similar issues where that was the problem). It’s very difficult to figure out what might be wrong, except by going back to a system that is known to work and slowly adding things until it breaks.

FYI, I never use Windows.  I just make the installer because no one else does.

Adam