Re: PDF Viewer does not have continuous scrolling

From: Svetlana Tkachenko
Subject: Re: PDF Viewer does not have continuous scrolling
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 07:22:18 +1100

Hi Riccardo,

Thanks for looking into this thoroughly - I am trying to grasp the
picture. Questions in-line below.

Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 06/11/2016 10:46, Svetlana Tkachenko wrote:
> > ViewPDF 1:0.2dfsg1-5+b1 on Debian testing does not have continuous
> > scrolling. This inconveniences me as I read a line on page #N and I
> > can't view the next line on page #N+1 at the same time. I filed the bug
> > at the GAP bug tracker - please let me know if it is a wrong place. I
> > would appreciate it greatly if someone coded this feature or at least
> > added a comment with a bug fixing specification - which files to edit,
> > what to add.
> >
> > https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?49544
>
> GAP does not host ViewPDF.
> GAP offers GSPdf which is essentially a GNUstep frontend to ghostscript
> (GS of gs :) )

OK.

Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> I don't know where ViewPDF currently is hosted and if somebody maintains
> it at all - Is it another name for the old Vindaloo viewer?
> I could trace that to:
> http://gna.org/projects/gsimageapps <http://gna.org/projects/gsimageapps>
>
> Based on poppler.. it looks another piece of GS software that is....
> bitrotting

Is being based on poppler bad? Is this software bad in its design?

I tried to compile PoppletKit for Vindaloo, and it gives me this error
even though I already installed libpoppler-dev and libpopplerkit0:

Making all for subproject bindings...
make[3]: *** No rule to make target 'obj/bindings.obj/poppler.c.o',
needed by 'obj/subproject.o'.  Stop.
/usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/Instance/subproject.make:45: recipe for
target 'internal-subproject-all_' failed
make[2]: *** [internal-subproject-all_] Error 2
/usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/Master/rules.make:311: recipe for target
'bindings.all.subproject.variables' failed
make[1]: *** [bindings.all.subproject.variables] Error 2
/usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/Master/rules.make:311: recipe for target
'PopplerKit.all.framework.variables' failed
make: *** [PopplerKit.all.framework.variables] Error 2

Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> I think that for  "continuous scrolling" you intend to see at the same
> time one page and the next page? GSPdf at least do not offer that and
> won't in any near future: it essentially render one page after the other
> via ghostscript.

Is it useful for me to try GSPdf and edit it to add continuous scrolling
there?

What is a good starting point for getting continuous scrolling somehow
eventually?

Svetlana