Re: Cutting a gnustep-gui release

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Cutting a gnustep-gui release
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 16:35:08 +0000

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 4:25 PM, Stefan Bidigaray <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Ivan,
I would assume, as a minimum, the soname cannot change. GNUstep does have a habit of incrementing the soname with MINOR release number bumps, even if the ABI remains unchanged.

For example, Debian's current version of GNUstep base in testing is 1.24.9, and the package name is libgnustep-base1.24. If a new, 1.25 release, is pushed out, the new package name would be libgnustep-base1.25, and likely not accepted.

Actually, the latest bump of -gui (to 0.25, the first release I was cutting) was actually pushed due to issues while doing Debian packaging. Eric *requested* that we bump the soname.

While searching for how to reply to this, I actually found Eric's off-list email, where he was running dpkg-gensymbols to generate this information.

However, at this point, I am not sure how to go about running this type of thing myself. I could probably investigate, but short instructions or a pointer to useful documentation would be very time-saving.

Preferably, I would be able to avoid doing a full binary package build, of course :)

Rubber duck tells me I could use 'nm' or 'readelf' or 'objdump', and then diff the output, but dpkg-gensymbols and its ilk might be doing much more.