Re: libobjc2 fails to build with gcc 5.4.0

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: libobjc2 fails to build with gcc 5.4.0
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2017 12:06:16 +0100

On 3 Apr 2017, at 11:51, Ivan Vučica <address@hidden> wrote:

> 5.4 is almost a year old, so maybe this was fixed. However, I'm not sure it
> would be so bad to have a workaround for this compiler?
>
> There is already a warning that clang should be used (which I, of course,
> switched to; I prefer it anyway). But having a workaround to make it work
> with GCC, even in a basic, unsupported way, is probably still good?

As I said in the pull request, I’m hesitant to work around this for three
reasons:

- It’s a bug in GCC
- The work-around code requires using macros and loses type safety
- A runtime compiled with GCC lacks a number of important features

I think simply removing support for building with GCC is probably a better idea.