Re: gnustep-make: /etc/GNUstep.conf in case of --prefix and --sysconfdir

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: gnustep-make: /etc/GNUstep.conf in case of --prefix and --sysconfdir
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 17:06:14 +0100

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 9:59 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2 Apr 2017, at 17:19, Ivan Vučica <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hey,
>
> I'm trying to install GNUstep into /GNUstep with folders such as /GNUstep/System, /GNUstep/Local, etc. However, GNUstep.conf should live in /etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf.
>
>   ./configure --prefix=/GNUstep --with-layout=gnustep --sysconfdir=/etc
>
> Looks like sysconfdir is not used here. And in fact, GNUstep.conf ends up in /GNUstep/etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf, where it presumably won't be found by things trying to find where GNUstep is installed.

I spent quite some time trying to figure out how it might be possible to preserve most of existing behavior while also making the code honor --sysconfdir=
There's no way I could find in autoconf to tell whether the use has supplied the --sysconfdir= option, so checking for that would probabaly require us to add code to parse the command line arguments passed to the configure script and see if they contain --sysconfdir=, and that seems like a lot of work for little effect.

Yes, but the default is sane too: /etc

So we could use it blindly.

(I'm only confused at why the autoconf-provided string says [PREFIX/etc] to be the default.)

However, as far as I can see $sysconfdir should always be $prefix/etc when neither -sysconfdir= is used.
So perhaps we might use:

if --with-config-file= is supplied ... use it
else if $sysconfdir is not $prefix/etc  ... use $sysconfdir/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf
else if on darwin ... use /Library/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf
else use current rules based on $GNUSTEP_PREFIX

I was under the impression $GNUSTEP_PREFIX was supposed to be the same as $prefix, but if not, this looks right (apart from $sysconfdir not seeming to include $prefix when I was trying it out -- I will confirm this).

If $GNUSTEP_PREFIX is the same as $prefix, we can simply skip branch #2 ("else if $sysconfdir...").

I'll see what I can do.