Re: Gna changeover

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Gna changeover
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 08:04:17 +0000

On Mon 29 May 2017 at 07:59, David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:
On 28 May 2017, at 22:57, Ivan Vučica <address@hidden> wrote:

> - As the conversion will involve correcting the author usernames to be
> up to spec, and as the conversion will include the remainder of the
> branches and tags, the COMMIT HASHES WILL CHANGE. Linking existing
> mirror's commit hashes to the newly converted Git hashes will be done
> on a best-effort basis.

Is it possible to use git-imerge’s rebase-with-history to address this?  There are a number of forks of the GitHub GNUstep repos and it would be a shame to break all of them.  The old email addresses have been public in the github mirror for a long time, so it’s not really a privacy issue to keep them for a while.

I was going to write a tool to create git replace refs or grafts based on commit descriptions. If there is an easier way to do this, I'm all for it :)

When it comes to email addresses, they are mostly collected from the change log file so I don't see this as a privacy issue. They have not otherwise really been on GitHub in the commit headers.

Sent from Gmail Mobile on iPad