Re: Gna changeover

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Gna changeover
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 16:54:12 +0200

On May 31, 2017 1:05:08 PM GMT+02:00, David Ayers <address@hidden> wrote:
>Hello Folks!
>
>is there an ETA when the repository will be available?

Hard to estimate.

The only Gna.org admin whose contact I was able to found took a while to
respond, and unhelpfully stated that he has no access to the old content.
Further inquiry about whom to reach out to resulted in no response after
several days.

Gregory has the latest backup, but due to some emergencies has not been in
position to deliver it to me.

Next, there is a copy of most gna.org repos fetched on Feb25 published on
archive.org. I have obtained that, and as a last resort we can recover history
by applying patches from gnustep-cvs.

Given I'm traveling until Sunday with almost no connectivity (or dedicated
hacking time), this is all going to be blocked till next week. I would say
earliest read-only copy of Subversion should be expected Monday if I receive
the latest backup, and resumption of services on top of Git should be
mid-to-late next week.

>can we expect the historical release tags?

Yes.

>From what I can see:
>https://github.com/gnustep/base
>does not contain any release tags.

Yes, that is one of the reasons we are re-doing conversion from Subversion.
(And existence of these exports is a reason why we are no going to naively
overwrite it, but use something like replace refs or grafts.)

The exports as they are now are pretty much backup mirrors, not actual
repositories ready to use.

>https://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/gnustep/

Unfortunately I cannot open this offline on plane, but I think we were not
using Savannah in a while. Maybe these are git repositories which we did not
start using yet?

>We generally deploy by checking out the upstream sources and we a
>currently assessing whether it is worthwhile to setup our own repo or
>import with the versions we need into our project's VCS, so that we can
>continue deploying.

If you need a read only copy, please temporarily use Github repositories. You
could even continue using Subversion, as Github offers Subversion view of the
repositories.

If you need a particular release of a particular library, try figuring out the
release hash by blame'ing the Changelog.

If you need a particular branch, unfortunately we are blocked on backup coming
my way (and not having connectivity).

We intend to selfhost our Git repositories, with mirrors on sites such as
Github, Gitlab, Savannah, etc. This will happen over the next month.